Fur the purpose of the redevelopment of the town square (1983/84) the inaugurated fountain by the sculptor Jan Bormann from Castrop-Rauxel combined many historical details of the town. Within the octagonal water basin lies the river deity Guntia, the patron saint of the town. On the edge of the water basin you can spot roman coins, a medal featuring various towers from the town, and a Maria Theresa thaler. The tetracaidecahedra (tetradecahedron) embellishes the town of Sternberg’s coat of arms (in memory of those exiled from Sternberg/Mähren, from which Günzburg took over the sponsorship in 1955), the coat of arms of Günzburg, the Austrian double-headed eagle and the great coat of Bavarian arms. The wreath there under displays the three crowned swan neck originating from the coat of arms of the bailiff Baron Christoph von Ramschwag (also on the weather vane on the lower gate). Hear say made ugly ducklings out of these noble animals, thus the insulting nickname for all Günzburg citizens became established – the “Gäiskräga”.