Janusz Korczak (1878-1942) was a Polish Jew as well as a globally renowned teacher and head of an orphanage in Warsaw who, alongside his pupils, met his death in the extermination camp in Treblinka. During his lifetime, he had nothing to do with Günzburg, in spite of this, for a long time he has been familiar to our citizens.
It all began in 1991 with a play, which was rehearsed and staged by Günzburg’s experimental theater It was called „KORCZAK – A CONFRONTATION PLAY“ originated from the work of Siegfried Steiger, a grammar school teacher in Günzburg.
The German Korczak community held their annual conference in Günzburg in autumn 2003 and as part of the conference, under the auspices of the Bavarian prime minister, this monument was unveiled for Janusz Korcak on 9th November. The group of sculptures („Korczak and the children“) originated from Itzchak Belfer (b 1923), an artist living in Israel, who himself had been a pupil in Korchak’s orphanage.