In the great town fire of 1735, the gothic church was destroyed down to the lower part of the tower. Despite the strained economic situation of the town, the magistrate decided to commission the already well-respected master builder Dominikus Zimmermann with a new build. The nave and chancel were finished in 1741; due to a lack of money, the decoration was delayed, and the eventual consecration took place in 1780.
According to the floor plan, a rectangle with slightly outward-tilted vaulted long sides and inward-tilted rounded ceiling is before you. This means that the viewer receives the impression of being within an oval. The relatively flat vaulted ceiling is a wooden shell, which hangs on a measured roof frame construction. The main image (the Coronation of Mary) was created in a fresco-style by the painter Anton Enderle from Söflingen (near Ulm) in 1741. The groups of figures on the left and right respectively of the fountain (Source of Grace) embody the four known continents of the time
Europe (Woman with imperial crown, soldier with the monogram of Mary on his shield, white horse)
Asia (Woman with frankincense, man in oriental costume, camel)
America (woman with feather crown, background figure with screen, crocodile)
Africa (dark-skinned woman with turban, elephant)
A historical exhibit shows a picture mounted on the south of the axis on the main image: The naval battle of Lepanto, where on the 7th October 1571 a venetian-Spanish fleet under Juan of Austria defeated the Turks. The glass cabinet on the left side of the altar holds the relic body of the martyr Isidora. The gallery on the western side served the English girl as a private chapel. She stayed in direct contact with the neighbouring former cloister building through a passage on the first floor (visible from outside).
The Günzburg Church of Our Lady stands chronologically between the Steinhausen Pilgrimage Church (near Biberach) and the Wieskirche (near Steingaden) in the work of Dominikus Zimmermann.
With a comparison of the architectural solutions and decoration details a number of parallels are found, but also further developments. So for example the double choir altar of the Church of Our Lady was a precursor for the altar in Wieskirche.
The church was redeveloped between 1993 and 2002, at a cost of around €5.5 million, and today gives an impression of soft lightness, which is unparalleled in the world.