Kaiser Joseph II. (1780-1790) turned Günzburg into a garrison town. According to Joseph Dossenberger Jr.’s plans (an architect from Wettenhausen) this mansion was built in 1780/81. Two houses for officers and the army headquarters belonged to the barracks area. The soldiers stationed here could only resist the assault by French soldiers for one afternoon in October 1805, and after an affiliation of more than 500 years with the House of Habsburg, Günzburg came under Bavarian rule. The barracks had been used differently in the proceeding decades, namely as the Royal Humanitarian grammar school until 1900. Between 1979 and 2007, the building was used as a primary school, and in 2008 the building originally used for military purposes was transformed into the “House of Education”.