In 1764, Günzburg was chosen to be the headquarters for a Hapsburg mint. Important factors which contributed to this decision were the convenient location in terms of transport and communication networks, the Günz River and its channels which provided hydro power at this time, and Günzburg’s close proximity to Augsburg, as the necessary coin metal was ordered from there. There was a large hall on the ground floor of this building, planned by Joseph Dossenberger and completed in 1767. In this hall there were four suction screw presses, which were predominantly used to engrave silver coins. Administration was carried out on the upper floors. One coin produced at this mint was valid for the longest periods throughout the history of money: the Maria Theresa thaler. This was still a legally valid method of payment in Ethiopia right up until 1945. This was above all due to the fact that its weight of 23.389 grams and its standard of purity (833.333) were never altered.
Copper coins were produced in a second mint which stood outside the town walls together with a hammer mill and a silver refinery. Coin engraving came to an end in October 1805, when French troops occupied Günzburg and the town became Bavarian shortly afterwards. Since 1809 this coin works has functioned as a town hall, the interior has gone through major structural alterations.