Empress Maria Theresia was summoned to Günzburg to improve the Piarist order school system. One of the Piarist’s intentions for the order was to place more emphasis on educating boys. Built between 1755 and 1757, this building was used as a school building up until 1978. In 1982 it was reconstructed and turned into a museum for local history.
The museum offers over 16 exhibition rooms, which consume a total area of 670 square metres. Alongside the prehistoric and provincial roman archaeology, beneath beautiful pieces belonging to more than 1,900 roman tombs, the town history is presented with paintings and sacred sculpture starting from 1500, furniture, folklore and a mineralogical and paleontological collection. The masterpiece of a room dedicated to the 18th century is a 16 square metre stucco ceiling piece from the early 18th century, which was carried from a derelict house.
Also, there is a specific exhibition room dedicated to the affiliation with the Hapsburg house, in which museum visitors both young and old will be excited by the 19th century toy collection. Additionally, there are two fully equipped bourgeois rooms and an exhibition room which presents the 4000 year Riesenburg settlement from the castle hill.